Nestled in one of the loveliest areas of the historic Shenandoah Valley;
Strathmore House offers a multitude of attractions practically on its
doorstep. Strathmore House is located about halfway between the charming and
historic valley towns of Mt. Jackson and New Market and overlooks the Meems
Bottom Covered Bridge. The Bridge, which lies just off scenic US Route 11,
also known as the Old Valley Pike (US 11) and very near Exit 269 of Interstate
81, is a major Shenandoah County tourist attraction and one of only 7 covered
bridges still existing in the State of Virginia. Within easy driving distance
of Strathmore House are the following attractions:
- The New Market Battlefield State Historical Park is in nearby New Market.
The battle of New Market was made famous by the participation of the VMI
Cadets. The original Bushong House, which is open to the public, stood in
the center of the fighting. A very realistic reenactment of the Battle of
New Market is held near the 15th of May each year. 866-515-1864
- The Stonewall Jackson Museum at Hupp’s Hill. 540-465-5884
- Cedar Creek Battlefield Visitor Center. Annual reenactment 3rd
week of October. 540-869-2064
- There is a bountiful supply of antiques shops, large and small, in every
town along Route 11. We especially recommend the Strasburg Antique
Emporium in the center of Strasburg. 540-465-3711
MUSIC AND LIVE THEATER
- The Shenandoah Valley Music Festival at Orkney Springs features,
symphony, jazz, big bands and folk music and is open summers from Memorial
Day through Labor Day . 800-459-3396
- Wayside Theater, Middletown. 800-951-1776
- Shenandoah Music Theater, Shenandoah University, Winchester, offers live
- Bell Grove Plantation near Middletown. 540-869-2028
- Glen Burnie in Winchester (40 miles) has both wonderful gardens and art
- The Shenvallee Golf Resort offers a 27 hole PGA golf course, tennis
courts and a good restaurant. 540-740-3181 www.shenvalee.com.
- There is also an excellent golf course at nearby Bryce Resort.
- Bryce also offers great skiing both snow in winter and grass, horseback
riding and tennis.
- Massanutten Four Season Resort -skiing in winter, hiking, swimming or
biking in summer. 540-289-9441
- Shenandoah River Outfitters offers canoeing, kayaking and tubing on the
Shenandoah River. 540-7443-9001
- There is a summer valley baseball league with promising young players
from all areas of the country. New Market has an excellent team with
several games available each week.
- Horseback riding at a nearby riding stable. 888-754-5771
- Other important attractions nearby are the Shenandoah National Park,
Skyline Drive, 540-999-3500, the George Washington National Forest.
540-265-5100 and the Blue Ridge Parkway 540-857-2458. Almost every small
town has its own version of Harvest or Apple Festivals, Heritage Days and
Christmas celebrations. Every weekend there are country auctions, antique
and craft fairs. In other words, there is always something to do nearby
for every taste.
Inn Keepers KayandJim@StrathmoreHouse.com
Web Master email@example.com