Meem's Bottom Covered Bridge
From the east lawn of Strathmore House guests may pay a visit to one of the best-known covered bridges in Virginia, a 204-foot single-span Burr arch truss known as Meem's Bottom in Shenandoah County. The bridge site takes its name from the Meem family that owned the Strathmore estate west of the Shenandoah River. This long span over the North Fork of the river carried traffic for more than 80 years before being burned by vandals on Halloween 1976.
After salvaging the original timbers, the bridge was reconstructed and eventually undergirded with steel beams and concrete piers.
Succeeding at least two other bridges, the Meem's Bottom Bridge was built in 1894 from materials cut and quarried nearby for the massive arch supports and stone abutments, which extended 10 feet below the riverbed. Records show that one bridge was burned in 1862 as Stonewall Jackson went up the valley ahead of Union General John C. Fremont, prior to the battles of Harrisonburg, Cross Keys and Port Republic. Another was washed away in a flood in 1870.
Strathmore House is the only Bed and Breakfast within walking distance of this historic Virginia landmark. Guests are encouraged to bring a camera to capture memories of their visit to Meem's Bottom on the Shenandoah.
Inn Keepers KayandJim@StrathmoreHouse.com
Web Master firstname.lastname@example.org